Monday, March 10, 2008

Class Reflection: Final Blog

There is no doubt in my mind that I am a much better writer than when I began this course. Writing has been a hassle my entire life. I have always considered myself to be an intelligent person, yet only a mediocre writer. I lacked the capacity to properly convey my thoughts on to paper. In my mind everything would make sense. It was frustrating because I would come up with great ideas and supporting evidence, but I when people read my work they were always unclear as to the points I was making.

The one activity that really changed my writing style was the very first thing we did in class, pathos, logos, and ethos discussion. Instead of just writing what made sense to me, this made me begin to analyze my writing as if I was a stranger reading my own work. It was the first time I was able to step back and take an outsider’s perspective.

Once I had realized how important it was to make my writing appealing and clear for the reader, the rest of the literary techniques came easy. It was as if something clicked in my mind and all of a sudden every bit of writing instruction I had ever received prior to this class fell into place. It was an extremely rewarding feeling.

I am definitely excited to know that when a writing assignment comes up in my next few years at school I will have the confidence and skills to get an A. I am studying to be an aquatic biology major so when it becomes time to write a research proposal or scientific study I will be able to excel in my professional career as well.

Being that I am a future scientist extraordinaire, I particularly enjoyed our scientific writing unit and the research I performed about parenting and sexual selection. I was fascinated by the instinctual patterns and reproductive strategies employed by our species. If at some point in my life I am required to do a similar research project I am definitely going to pick up where I left off and continue my research. Maybe someday a writing student will use my published work as a secondary source for his or her essay.

No comments: